Sunday, March 11, 2012

Awake in the Night

As I lay awake in my bed with a pool of moonlight snuggled against me, I stared blankly through my bedroom window at the night sky.  I don't know what woke me.  A sound?  A dream?   I smiled in the dark at the thought that it may have been God waking me so we could talk.  Most of the time when I wake up in the night, I don't talk to God;  I worry.  How much time I have wasted by lying awake at night worrying!


What about this?  
Why did I say that?   
Why couldn't this have happened?  
Why is that such a struggle? 
And many other useless questions.  


Suddenly, like seedlings sprouting and taking root, some useful and powerful questions burst into my consciousness:

Why do I need to be reminded to come to God with these thoughts?  
Why do I worry first and pray second?  
Shouldn't I long to talk to God first as I imagine He longs to talk to me?  


I took these better questions to Him who could answer me, believing with all my heart that He doesn't find fault with me when I ask.  He gently said to my spirit, yet again:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Philippians 4:6,7

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  
1 Peter 5:7



Thank you, Lord, for always being ready to hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment