Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Gladdened Heart

What a glorious mid-March morning!  The weather forecast today:  sunny and 72!  In the Midwest in mid-March!  All around the yard little tufts of yellow sunshine greet the day.  Daffodils... March's flower; my flower (my birthday is March 20--Spring's official yearly debut!).  As I walked back to the house after feeding the chickens, my head heard my heart say "gladdened".    Yes, gladdened.  On a March morning, outside without a coat, among the bird orchestra, in the presence of a burgeoning Spring, my heart was gladdened.

I knew that the word gladden was in the Psalms;  I rushed to look it up.  Yes,  right there in Psalm 104.  That Psalm, written by anonymous, has long been one of this farm girl's favorites.

He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate --
bringing forth food from the earth:  
wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart.
Psalm 104:14,15 (NIV)


Not only does God create, but He maintains His creation. This beautiful earth is for our benefit.  I praise Him, but my words seem childish and inadequate.  "Wow" and "Thank you" and "Amazing" and "Awesome" don't go far enough.


LORD, please see that my gladdened heart is my sincere praise to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment